Thanks, that's a bug in the code that helps wrapping labels at the right
position for the icon view

nautilus-icon-canvas-item.c has this code

"
#define ZERO_WIDTH_SPACE "\xE2\x80\x8B"

                for (p = text; *p != '\0'; p++) {
                        str = g_string_append_c (str, *p);

                        if (*p == '_' || *p == '-' || (*p == '.' &&
!g_ascii_isdigit(*(p+1)))) {
                                /* Ensure that we allow to break after '_' or
'.' characters,
                                 * if they are not followed by a number */
                                str = g_string_append (str, ZERO_WIDTH_SPACE);
                        }
                }"

it seems like the "zero width space" is what is creating the issue, I'm
unsure why that's happening though.

One bug I can see is that the code is iterating over char types, and an
utf8 non ascii glyph might not fit in a char, so it could insert value
in the middle of an utf8 sequence and corrupt it, but that doesn't seem
to be what is happening there since the "weird" glyphs are added after
"_" and "."

  Strange character showing in file listing in Nautilus in some views,
  for Thai language file names

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “nautilus” source package in Precise:

  In some views in Nautilus, there is a strange character appearing
  right after particular characters such as . (dot) and - (dash) when
  using Thai script in the file name.

  Note that this does not happen in List view (Ctrl-2) , only icon view
  (either Ctrl-1 or Ctrl-3).  Also, when renaming a file, the strange
  character disappears.

  I attach some screen shots.   Screenshots 1 and 3 show the problem,
  with the character appearing in front of a dot or dash.  Screenshot 2
  (list view) show that there is no issue there.  Screenshot 4 shows
  what happens when renaming a file: the strange character(s) disappear.

  Note when I take a file name and insert a dot or dash at any point
  within the Thai name, the strange character appears in the affected
  views.   This seems to happen only with dot and dash, but not with
  regular a-z characters or characters like #, $, ! etc.  (I did not try
  all 128 low ascii characters though).

  EDIT: I can only add one attachment.  Will add the other ones in
  follow-up comments.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1
  Date: Fri Apr 20 10:41:58 2012
  GsettingsChanges:
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state geometry '1154x546+125+114'
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state start-with-status-bar true
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120301)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8