The patch will change the behavior compared to current one. particularly with:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tagoh/fontconfig/tree/src/fcdefault.c?h=bz27765#n196
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tagoh/fontconfig/tree/src/fclist.c?h=bz27765#n382

the result on LANG=ja_JP say will looks like:
(On fontconfig-2.9.0)
/usr/share/fonts/wqy-zenhei/wqy-zenhei.ttc: 文泉驛點陣正黑,WenQuanYi Zen Hei
Sharp,文泉驿点阵正黑:style=Regular

(with patch)
/usr/share/fonts/wqy-zenhei/wqy-zenhei.ttc: WenQuanYi Zen Hei
Sharp,文泉驛點陣正黑,文泉驿点阵正黑:style=Regular

Anyway, that should be trivial.

  [Upstream] Bold, Italics, and Bold Italics not in English on Fonts
  menu

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Fix Released
Status in Fontconfig - Font Configuration Library:
  Fix Released
Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:
  Unknown
Status in “fontconfig” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “openoffice.org” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “openoffice.org” package in openSUSE:

  Binary package hint: openoffice.org

  Using the current ooo packages for Feisty, open Writer, type a few
  characters, and then go to the Format --> Character menu. In the Font
  tab under Typeface, the options listed are:

  Normal
  cursiva
  Negreta
  Negreta cursiva

  The system in question is en_US.  I've had Feisty on this computer for
  some time and do not recall seeing this before (not certain I used the
  Font menu though).