Hello Mathieu, or anyone else affected,

Accepted network-manager into precise-proposed. The package will build
now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here.
See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

** Also affects: network-manager (Ubuntu Precise)

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu Precise)

** Tags added: verification-needed

  use_tempaddr is *still* not set properly for default eth0 connections

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “network-manager” source package in Precise:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  Only affects IPv6 connections, but we established that the default should be
to maintain our users' privacy on IPv6 connections; we want all IPv6 external
connections to be established using temporary, dynamic addresses.

  [Development Fix]
  Very minor patch to threat an unknown value (-1) as (2), aka, enabling and
preferring privacy extensions. Patch is attached.

  [Stable Fix]
  See "Development fix".

  [Test case]
  Connect a wire to your system. With NetworkManager running, the value
returned by 'sysctl net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr' should be 2 at all times
unless configured otherwise (though the default is set to 2 by default).
Without the patch, the value is reset to 0 when NetworkManager is running, and
correctly set to 2 when NetworkManager is stopped (since it reverts the value
to the value when NM started).

  [Regression Potential]
  Low, impact may be failing connections in case of issues with the privacy
extensions system in the Linux kernel.

  ----

  The use_tempaddr sysctl defaults to 0 in NetworkManager if it's not
  set elsewhere, such as it is the case for the default NM-created,
  automatic wired connection. That connection is never "completed"
  (because it's internal magic), and nm_backend_ipv6_use_tempaddr()
  doesn't have a chance of returning a valid system-wide default value
  since the function it calls, nm_generic_ipv6_use_tempaddr() only
  checks in /etc/sysctl.conf and /lib/sysctl.d/sysctl.conf for a system
  default value.

  (Regardless, this wouldn't work since we generate a setting based on a
  number of files in /etc/sysctl.d)

  Change the behavior slightly to default to a string of -1 as a default
  value in nm-system.c; then make sure that if that value is never
  changed by the result of nm_backend_ipv6_use_tempaddr(), we just don't
  touch that sysctl at all.