I'd enjoy me some caching, too!

  Change default dnsmasq flags to not include --strict-order and disable
  caching

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  When using dnsmasq as a backend, Network Manager currently passes
  --strict-order.

  This is a good way to get a similar behaviour to that of the libc's
  resolver where the DNS servers are being queried sequentially with a
  2-3s timeout per server. However in the case where the first DNS
  server is down, this will delay all the DNS queries on the system.

  Instead, I recommend this parameter be dropped which will fallback to
  the default dnsmasq mode to send the initial request to all servers
  and then continue with the first one that replies. This will increase
  the load on the upstream DNS servers quite a bit (though not as much
  as using --all-servers) but will ensure a proper fallback when some
  servers are down or very slow.

  I think this added load is reasonable and shouldn't affect most DNS
  servers too much. For cases where it's a concern (heavily loaded
  corporate network for example), I'd suggest the user simply turns off
  the dnsmasq plugin in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf thereby
  reverting to the libc's behaviour of trying servers sequentially with
  a 3s timeout.

  As discussed in
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-dns-resolving for
security reason (possible local cache poisoning), we also want to turn off
caching for the LTS and reconsider caching (ideally with per-user caches) for
12.10.