Having precisely the same problem after a fresh install of 12.04 LTS...

Open a directory, CTRL+SHIFT+N to create new directory - works fine -
type the name of the new directory, hit enter. CTRL+SHIFT+N again to
create another directory - sometimes works fine, but a lot of the time
received the error:

"The item could not be renamed. There is no "" in this folder. Perhaps
it was just moved or deleted?"

Get the same issue when you conduct it using the mouse rather than the
keyboard.

  creating multiple folders fails

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  1) Ubuntu release: Ubuntu 11.04
  2) Package version: nautilus 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu13
  3) What I expect to happen:
  I open a local folder (e.g. the Desktop) in nautilus in the list view.
  Then I press Ctrl+Shift+N. An 'untitled folder' is created and I can type to
give it the desired name, press Enter and be done.
  Now I press Ctrl+Shift+N again. Again, an 'untitled folder' is created, I can
type in the new name and press Enter to finish.

  4) What happens instead:
  The second time when I press Ctrl+Shift+N, the 'untitled folder' is created,
I can type the new name, but when I press Enter, an error message appears:
  "The item could not be renamed. There is no "untitled folder" in this folder.
Perhaps it was just moved or deleted?"
  When I dismiss it, an 'untitled folder' exists, but the name that I just
typed, is gone.

  Package: nautilus 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu13
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-11.50-generic 2.6.38.8