Having the same trouble with 12.04 LTS.  I didn't have any issue running
Maverick (10.10).  The screen brightness on my Toshiba L-300-D laptop
changes to full brightness with every reboot.  In order to resolve an
overheating problem I turn the acpi off at boot using "acpi_osi=" on the
linux line in grub.  When I check
/sys/class/back.ight/acpi_ideo0/brightness it shows 0 which is where I
want it.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Laptop TFT monitor - brightness level is not saved

Status in Gnome Powermanager:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “gnome-power-manager” source package in Lucid:

  Every time I restart my computer, the monitors brightness has changed
  to the maximum possible. Please make it remember the settings.

  The computer is an IBM Thinkpad X-31 [2673-PXG] laptop. Full specification is
available here :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-58212

  PLEASE NOTE: This bug has been filed on the WRONG package. I don't
  know which package or part of Ubuntu this error is part of.