I installed Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday, because I tried Samba on Ubuntu
11.10 two days ago and everything went bad and my machine became
unusable. I am very wary of (trying to use) Samba. I only want to share
files between Linux machines.

Yes I am trying to work out how to fix the problem of not being able to
use Personal File Sharing because 'This feature cannot be enabled
because the required packages are not installed on your system'.

So this is a repetition of #27 above. The message itself is quite sweet,
but without providing any clue of how to identify which packages are not
installed, its usefulness is reduced.

I've just been through each item on the first page of Google results for
'ubuntu 12.04 personal file sharing this feature cannot be enabled
because the required packages are not installed on your system', but the
2 most thorough answers require Samba. A couple of others refer to
Apache, but I can't work out what package/s to install. Here's a quick
list of what I've found.

apache2
apache2.2-bin
apache2.2-common
libapache2-mod-dnssd
NFS

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-user-share in Ubuntu.

  Personal file sharing preferences dialog does not offer to install
  needed packages

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Triaged
Status in gnome-user-share:
  Invalid
Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-user-share” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: nautilus

  What happens -> I open the Personal file sharing preferences dialog via
system-preferences or via nautilus, and Im told that the network sharing
feature can not be enabled because the required packages are not on your pc.
  I, as a tech user, went to synaptic, found the package, looked for its
recommends and got the functionality.
  A normal user wont be able to do so, and so a button to install those
packages is needed for usabilty's sake.

  Desired resolution:

  - Remove the "Sharing Options" right click menu option from Nautilus.
  - If a advanced user chooses to install the required packages, the menu
should re-appear in Nautilus.