Mike S - Not disagreeing a bit. There are also other significant flaws in FF4
and up (dysfunctional default UI, rapid release cycle, the 'fix' for bug
586234, inability to clone a tab).
I don't think it is necessarily a reflection on all software developers, not
even on all who work on FF. My guess is - and that is true for commercial
software as well - some folks with a far too big ego make the decisions and
they want things to be their way. The UI change that nobody wanted - still
there. The rapid releases that still break add-ons and that caused hundred
thousands of complaints - still there. All the stuff that works fine in FF3.x
and was broken for no reason in FF4 - still there. I think that up until FF3
Mozilla was close to the community of users and made a browser that users
loved. Then something changed, a decision was made to copy Chrome and entirely
ignore the wishes of the user community. What Mozilla needs to do is replace
the decision makers with folks that care about the users more than themselves.
FF turned into the materialized ego trip of a select few and the result is
unhappy users and continuously dropping market share. I really wonder how the
decisions are made which bugs to fix first after covering security issues. My
guess is that new (and buggy) features trumps fixing bugs filed a decade ago.
And the memory leaks are still there, but that is a common occurrence in FF
since version 1.

As far as sharing a profile is concerned, I think that it is even more a
need for Thunderbird. You wrote that you are a developer. I know it is a
common response that gets used too often, but maybe you can take on this
issue and fix it? I wish I could, but I am just a QA buff and a regular
user aka someone who the FF folks give a damn about.

  [upstream] Address data sources missing

Status in BlankOn Linux:
  New
Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Confirmed
Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:
  Invalid
Status in “firefox-3.0” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “openoffice.org” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: openoffice.org

  Over on the Ubuntu user's mailing list someone asked a question about
  Thunderbird address data sources. So in the process of replying I check
  on my systems & found:

  OOo 2.1 installed from Openoffice.org files directly (installed on
  Dapper) has:

  File|Templates|Address Book Source|  Administrate button
  - Evolution
  - Groupwise
  - Evolution LDAP
  - Mozilla / Netscape
  - Thunderbird
  - KDE address book
  - LDAP address book
  - Other external data source

  OOo 2.2(rc3) (Ubuntu'ized Feisty version) only shows:

  File|Templates|Address Book Source|  Administrate button
  - Evolution
  - Groupwise
  - Evolution LDAP
  - Other external data source

  Note: Thunderbird is installed & working on both machines.

  I then installed OOo 2.2(rc3) (non-Ubuntu'ized version) on Ubuntu
  Dapper using the files from OOo and the results are exactly the same
  as my OOo 2.1 (non-Ubuntuized) version:

  File|Templates|Address Book Source|  Administrate button
  - Evolution
  - Groupwise
  - Evolution LDAP
  - Mozilla / Netscape
  - Thunderbird
  - KDE address book
  - LDAP address book
  - Other external data source

  The Ubuntu version is missing:
  - Mozilla / Netscape
  - Thunderbird
  - KDE address book
  - LDAP address book

  Note: related bug from earlier versions appears to be
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/35671