Renaming the .libreoffice dir as said on my previous post does solve the
problem, but the bug is still there, since after renaming / deleting the
.libreoffice directory it did happen again to me again opening to an
different workspace, also when you delete the .libreoffice directory you
are in fact deleting the particular configuration of the user (ej. added
words to the dictionary, etc...)

For me there is no problem loosing my particular configuration, but it
could be for other people,  hope this issue is fixed.

  LibreOffice Writer opens in different workspace after being closed
  while maximized

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: libreoffice

  I've seen this with Calc too, but cannot consistently reproduce it.

  I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 x64 with Unity.

  Procedure to reproduce bug:
  1) Open Writer
  2) Maximize window (alt-F10)
  3) Quit Writer (ctrl-Q)
  4) Open Writer.  Writer will open in adjacent workspace.

  If you instead quit Writer when it is not maximized, it will open on
  the expected workspace.

  Package: libreoffice 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu May  5 13:38:33 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20091027)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-04-30 (5 days ago)