Sorry for the english in my comment #3, I meant "Changes in preferences
affects the icon size everywhere in Nautilus except desktop icons."

  Desktop icon size could not be changed in Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Beta 1

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  The icon size for Nautilus is set to Compact, which is reflected in
  Nautilus window, but is not reflected on Desktop icons. The desktop
  icons stay the same size as shown in the screenshot no matter what
  preference is selected. The desktop icon sizes could be changed in
  Natty, but in Oneric beta 1 this feature is missing.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.1.90-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-10-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Wed Sep  7 11:40:23 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta i386 (20110901)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_IN:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_IN