This caught me on upgrading from oneiric to precise, so it is still a problem.
I would suggest that the remove script (or a separate tool?) searches known
methods for setting the wall paper (unity-2d, unity-3d, gnome2, gnome3, xfce,
etc) for all users and deletes what is left.  Otherwise every wallpaper-setting
tool would need to be modified.

  Previous custom ubuntu-wallpaper disappears after an Ubuntu upgrade

Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  Triaged
Status in Update Manager:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “update-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  The Ubuntu wallpapers initiative (from Flickr) is a good thing, but the big
problem for lambda users is that the wallpaper they chose disappears after an
upgrade of ubuntu, because every 6 months, the selected wallpapers are changed.
  My mother would be very disappointed to see her beautiful wallpaper disappear
after an upgrade.

  Is there any way to save the one that was defaulted during an upgrade ?
  Or even add a link "Previous ubuntu wallpapers" in the Appearance window ?