I think the best method is to just use pm-suspend-hybrid:
the system is fast to resume if you wake it up within 15 minutes again, but
suspends to disk after this and saves all the energy which Suspend To RAM would
still use.
If your system supports it, you can easily make "suspend" behave as
"suspend-to-disk":
http://daniel.hahler.de/use-hybrid-suspend-method-by-default

  should let users enable or disable suspend and hibernate

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Committed
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in Baltix GNU/Linux:

  We should have an ui in the power capplet for that:
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Power#Power_settings

  [The corresponding task for other desktop environments that do not use
  the GNOME control center is bug #976654.]