IMHO, people using German UI usually also use German keyboard. So, they
are used to having the shortcuts translated. They might be confused by
the new behavior.

Is there any chance to fix it, so it shows translated shortcuts in
translated UI again?

I do not mind if you put back the keyboard detection or if you avoid
dependency on the keyboard.

Side note: I am not sure how serious this bug is. Developers and old computer
users do not mind because they are used to these translation problems. Though,
normal and modern users might get annoyed if it is translated in many other
application these days. We want to be modern, ...  Note that it is pretty
visible. It is in the main menus...

  [upstream] German language pack: "Control", "Shift" in menus
  untranslated

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  In the German language pack, the modifier keys "Control" and "Shift"
  that appear in the menus remain untranslated. They should read "Strg"
  and "Umschalt".

  Package: libreoffice-l10n-de 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.4.0-030400-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Jun  1 09:50:39 2012
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=