I have this issue (gnome keyring daemon hogging cpu at login with either
Chrome or Chromium) on multiple machines running 12.04. No freezes, just
very high cpu usage. Killing the offending process has no obvious ill
effects.

I'm inclined to think that the Chrome issue pointed out in #4 above,
large keyring slow writes,  is the cause since I also see this with a
Fedora 17 machine when Chrome is fired up.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-keyring in Ubuntu.

  Chromium and gnome-keyring, no username or password

Status in “gnome-keyring” package in Ubuntu:

  When trying to access sites with saved credentials in Chromium, gnome-
  keyring-daemon will use 100% CPU and Chromium won't be able to get the
  username and password.

  Chromium: 17.0.963.56 (Developer Build 121963 Linux) Ubuntu 12.04
  Ubuntu 12.04

  Package: gnome-keyring 3.2.2-2ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 1.92-0ubuntu1