Support for Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" has ended.  Is this still
occurring on Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise Pangolin"?

** Tags added: karmic

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  Need support for WiMax cards management

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  Currently network-manager does not provide support for WiMax cards available.
  At the moment I am aware of at least two vendors providing WiMAX NICs: Intel
and Samsung. I have an Intel mini-PCI wireless card.  Though there are both
firmware and kernel module in current 9.10 kernel so my device is properly
detected, they are not enough to start using the NIC.

  I had to perform the following actions before i was able to connect:
  1) Download official sources for `wimaxd` daemon and supplicant libraries
from an official Intel site http://linuxwimax.org
  2) Build them, install them.
  3) Get XML configuration files specific for my particular provider (taken
from CD distributive supplied for Windows)
  4) As superuser run 'wimaxd; wimaxcu ron; wimaxcu connect network 15' to
connect to the provider ("Yota" brand)

  The current issue is that this NIC can operate in only one mode at the
  time: either WiFi or WiMAX, so I need to bring wlan0 down before
  connecting to Wimax and vice-versa. And, while I use NM to manage
  WiFi, this is inconvenient.

  I am sure it would be great if all or at least part of this actions
  can be done through some GUI configurator accessible from network-
  manager.

  Currently I plan to use some script (maybe incorporate it into my
  ifupdown cfg) to switch between the NIC operation modes (taken from
  http://icelord.net/wordpress/archives/1151):

  STATE=`sudo wimaxcu status system| awk '{print $4}'`
  if [ "$STATE" = "OFF." ]
  then
      beep
      sudo iwconfig wlan0 tx off
      sudo ifconfig wmx0 up
      sleep 0.1s
      sudo wimaxcu ron
      sleep 2s
      sudo wimaxcu connect network 15
      sudo dhclient wmx0 &
  else
      beep
      sleep 0.1s
      beep
      sleep 0.1s
      bepp
      sudo ifconfig wmx0 down
      sudo wimaxcu roff
      sleep 2s
      sudo iwconfig wlan0 tx on
      sleep 0.5s
      sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
  fi

  Also, I am unaware what are the details of operation of Samsung WiMAX
  NICs (they are sold as external USB deivces ) but I am sure that
  madwimax project does support these cards in Linux.

  So, some kind of plug in for network-manager is desirable. It should be able
to do the following things at least:
  1) Detect Wimax cards
  2) Detect that WiFi and WiMax cannot be used simultaneously.
  3) Allow bringing interfaces up and down using proper backend utilities
(intel or madwimax)