Update: Not sure what changed -- I deleted the .config/nautilus
directory to no effect, then turned off the overlay scrollbars to no
effect, restarted with overlay scrollbars off, and it touchpad scrolling
seems to be working again.

  Touchpad scrolling no longer works

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  After a recent update, touchpad scrolling within Nautilus stopped
  working. Scrolling does work when the scrollbars are grabbed and
  moved, but edge scrolling and two-finger scrolling ceased working.

  This behavior began concurrently with Bug #1010033 (gnome-search-tool
  randomly launching itself). I don't know if the two are related, but
  they began at the same time.

  Scrolling works in all other applications except Nautilus. I don't
  think it's the same as Bug #949465 because A.) That's been fixed, and
  B.) Apparently touchpad scrolling in that bug would just send the user
  to the bottom of the Nautilus window instead of scrolling. In this
  case, Nautilus just doesn't scroll.

  I've tried this in Gnome and Unity, with the same results.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu2
  Date: Thu Jun  7 13:06:50 2012
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  GsettingsChanges:
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state geometry '800x550+483+226'
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state start-with-status-bar true
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-04-09 (58 days ago)