Hi Ian, does the indicator become active again if you run (in a terminal):
$ upower -d
?

Anyway, this issue is not a gnome-power-manager bug, but an indicator-
power one. So please let's keep working on it here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-power/+bug/1008050

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  battery-indicator not updated

Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When I take my (thinkpad) laptop off AC power, I hear the AC-
  disconnected sound, but battery-indicator is not updated.  Estimation
  is not shown, and the icon remains unchanged, it's as if it's still on
  AC.

  In order to restore normal operation I have to click on the icon, and
  click on the first menu item, so that gnome-power-statistics opens.
  From that point on the indicator works correctly and shows the
  continuously-updating estimate.

  I think it only happens if I had used suspend/resume.

  Sorry I don't know how to debug this, any tips? I'm not even sure if
  gnome-power-manager is the package responsible.

  Thanks

  PS: Fully updated 11.10 64-bit install. gnome-power-manager:  Installed:
3.2.1-0ubuntu1