Commenting on Bryce's request for a use case for this.

One use case would be how I use the Awesome window manager at work: I
have two physical screens, on one I can have my text editor doing
whatever programming is needed, on the other I switch between a
workspace (called "tag" in awesome) containing terminal windows, a
workspace containing documentation and a workspace with the
webpage/application I'm working on.

I would use Awesome at home as well, if it wasn't for that it's not very
user-friendly, and it will be a problem when my wife wants to use the
computer.

  Allow displaying different virtual desktops on different devices

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gnome

  When I plug in a monitor to my notebook (ubuntu 9.04) I can mirror my
  image or enlarge my desktop to display something on the second device
  with gnome-display-properties.

  I think that it should be possible to display different virtual
  desktops on different devices. If I have 4 virtual desktops, I should
  be able to display first desktop on one device, second desktop on
  another one etc. I should also be able to change displays on different
  devices separately.