I experience this issue also with Ubuntu 12.04 and DVD playback. When I
try to play a DVD video (.VOB/MPEG 2 Video (as Totem said)) with Totem
it's choppy and seeking is very slow. Otherwise VLC works perfect and
smoothly.

Packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer0.10 in Ubuntu.

  Totem/gstreamer plays h264/mp4a stream choppy and out of sync.
  VLC/ffmpeg plays stream perfectly.

Status in “gstreamer0.10” package in Ubuntu:

  Totem/gstreamer (or  firefox with totem plugin) plays h264/mp4a stream
  choppy and out of sync (and often stops playing movie after 5 min).
  VLC/ffmpeg plays stream perfectly.

  I see some out of sync behavior when viewing this stream in or totem

  Page where stream is embedded:
http://www.mysteryfree.tv/unicast_embed/AFTVMysteryH264500.html
  Stream address: rtsp://video2.multicasttech.com/AFTVMysteryH264500.sdp

  Stream is using h264 video codec and mp4a audio codec. Bitarte varies
  between ~300-700kb/s

  Package: libgstreamer0.10-0 0.10.28-1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Thu May 20 17:56:59 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gstreamer0.10