This bug is set to High importance, triaged and assigned.. As a fix on
its way?

Clearly pam_env can't read ~/.pam_environment if $HOME hasn't been
mounted yet. Adding pam_env after common-session in lightdm's pam config
fixes this and allows me to change the language of my desktop session.

I'm not sure why pam_env would need to be present before ecyptfs (as
suggested in comment #7), though?

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  ~/.pam_environment not parsed when HOME is encrypted

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” source package in Precise:

  I have noticed this with LightDM 1.1.6 - 1.1.8. Is HOME 'unlocked' too
  late?

  The result is that the session environment contains the system wide
  locale settings, while the user's locale settings are ignored.