Uphaar Agrawalla, thank you for reporting this and helping make Ubuntu better.
Hardy desktop reached EOL on May 12, 2011.
Please see this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We were wondering if this is still an issue on a supported release? If
so, can you try with the latest development release of Ubuntu? ISO CD
images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/ .

If it remains an issue, could you run the following command in a
supported release from a Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal).
It will automatically gather and attach updated debug information to
this report.

apport-collect -p linux <replace-with-bug-number>

Also, if you could test the latest upstream kernel available that would
be great. It will allow additional upstream developers to examine the
issue. Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Once
you've tested the upstream kernel, please remove the 'needs-upstream-
testing' tag. This can be done by clicking on the yellow pencil icon
next to the tag located at the bottom of the bug description and
deleting the 'needs-upstream-testing' text. Please let us know your
results.

Thanks in advance.

** No longer affects: gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: hardy needs-upstream-testing regression-release

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Laptop battery runtime reduced in Hardy compared to Gutsy

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager

  I'm running an up-to-date Hardy (AMD64).

  Under Windows XP, my laptop battery provides a full 3 hour backup.
  Under Ubuntu Gutsy, the backup time has always been 2 hours 30 mins.

  With Hardy supporting "dynticks" which is supposed to bring better
  power management to 64-bit machines, I thought that the backup time
  would go up. However, ever since I upgraded to Hardy, the battery only
  provides 2 hours backup! Thats a big drop.

  It is not just the reporting time, as I know there are bugs open about
  that being displayed incorrectly. But the laptop actually powers off
  after 2 hours.

  This looks like a regression at the very least.