I was using my laptop to play movies on my tv using hdmi. When I
upgraded recently, which included a new kernel, the hdmi causes the
computer to freeze, forcing a reboot. As long as I don't plug in the
hdmi everything works properly. But the instant I plug in the cable the
computer freezes. The wifi continues to function but nothing else. I
can't switch to a terminal screen. The only thing I can do is reboot.

I have not tried going back to an earlier kernel but will try that soon.

  hdmi video out broken on package upgrade

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  I have two external monitors, one running through the vga out port and
  the other the hdmi out port and both were working fine in a dual head
  configuration until a recent package upgrade. Now only the vga out
  works and in the dispaly manager the hdmi connected monitor does not
  appear.

  I have another open bug about triple head not working here:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
  ati/+bug/931240 (laptop monitor won't work in tandem with two external
  monitors) but this is the first time for my hdmi out to go dead.

  I've tried creating a new account to see if it was user specific
  settings creating the problem, but a new user account exhibits the
  same behavior.

  I would like to know which package upgrade I need to reverse in order
  to get my workstation back to full functionality.

  Package: lightdm 1.0.6-0ubuntu1.7
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64