This has been fixed in Precise.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  Network Manager 0.7 doesn't use resolvconf to remove nameserver info
  if it didn't use resolvconf for adding its nameserver info - wipes
  /etc/resolv.conf link

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager-kde

  I use vpnc and have resolvconf package loaded to allow vpnc to update
  dns.   Network manager is replacing the symbolic link /etc/resolv.conf
  -> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf with a new (non-symbolic linked)
  /etc/resolv.conf this prevents resolvconf from updating DNS settings
  as it requires resolv.conf to be symbolic-link file.   if I delete the
  /etc/resolv.conf file and symbolic link it to
  /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf my vpn works fine and updates dns as
  expected, however if I reboot my machine the symbolic file is replaced
  by a new file that isn't symbolically linked to
  resolvconf/run/resolv.conf file.

  network manager should update the resolv.conf file not replace it.