** Changed in: gedit

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  Tools/manage tools/shortcuts: More help while defining shortcuts

Status in Light-Weight Text Editor for Gnome:
  Expired
Status in “gedit” package in Ubuntu:

  I enjoy much the possibility to define my own tools, and combine them
  with shortcuts.

  I admit that it wouldn't be wise to redefine the mosts often used ones
  like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.

  However, I often write programs in Scala or Java and like to compile
  and run them by hotkeys.

  I have ALT-j (java) and Ctrl-J (javac) defined, and would like to use
  something for Scala, but Ctrl-S is already used for "Save".

  The first problem with this is, that it isn't indicated, that the
  keystroke is occupied by something else, it is even shown in the menu.
  Since the keys are spread all over the menu, it is hard to find a free
  one. I thought, that Ctrl-K would be a nice alternative, since K can
  be pronounced like C in German in many cases, and "kompilieren" would
  be easy to recognize. It's occupied too for "inKremental search" which
  I rarely use, and so we approach the 3rd aspect of this problem: If I
  could define an Image to be shown in the toolbar, or building a button
  from words like "scalac", "scala", ..., the accessibility would be
  much better.

  Conclusion: I have 3 related feature-requests:
   * inform the user, if a hotkey is occupied
   * allow the user to overwrite hotkeys (ask for confirmation to avoid
accidentally overwriting popular commands, the user didn't think of)
   * allow the user to define buttons for the toolbar - (by image, by words, by
both).

  Thanks for your help. If you rewrite Gedit from Scratch in Java or
  Scala, I would submit a patch. :)

  Btw.: I'm still using Gedit 2.30.3 which came with XUbuntu 10.04, but
  I consulted the List of changes since then, and found no related
  entry.  This is more a feature request/maybe usability bug.