Could you test if this bug exist in new rhythmbox 2.97 version? 2.97
fixes lots of bugs, existing in 2.96, which is in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

You can install rhythmbox 2.97-1ubuntu1~precise1 from official gnome3-team
repository ( ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 ), see
https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Changing song data takes forever, freezes Rhythmbox

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a large but not insane music collection, often while playing
  songs I see small mistakes in the tagging information (Artist case is
  wrong, wrong year). When this happens I right-click go to properties
  and change the info, this always causes Rhythmbox to freeze up and
  takes between 4-5mins for control to be handed back. Very annoying!
  I'm not sure if the entire database has to be rebuilt every time a
  minor edit is made but this is getting ridiculous.

  Package: rhythmbox 2.96-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia