@vanvugt; ahh, I don't think you are talking about the blur, you are
referring to the reflections cast by the icons that is bouncing  off the
back of the Dash 'glass' material.  These reflections are there to give
the glass a sense of depth and make it feel more 'material' like.  This
effect is now a bit more polished than it was in the past, before it was
too OTT.

Closing bug because this was a specific feature requested by visual
design.  The visual look of Ubuntu will always continue to evolve, and
the person who is responsible for signing off any changes to the visual
design is Otto (Chaotic on IRC), so I suggest pinging him to discuss.

** Changed in: ayatana-design

** Changed in: unity

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  "Frosted glass" ghosting effect makes Dash icons look fuzzy, broken

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Invalid
Status in Unity:
  Invalid
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Here's a screenshot of the Dash at full screen. In the first column
  (Bluetooth through Mahjongg), the icons look quite fuzzy. I understand
  that this effect is by design and is supposed to evoke a "frosted
  glass" metaphor. Personally, I thought that the Dash's blur effect was
  broken and that was unintentional, buggy ghosting, perhaps related to
  a graphics driver bug. I believe users will have the same worried
  reaction.

  I think the Dash's background blur is a generally good idea (the
  specific color and blur intensity may need tweaking) and a glass or
  frosted glass look makes sense from a "Light" theme but the individual
  dash icons must be clear and legible.

  The lens icons don't have an off-center fuzzy echo, nor do the search
  box, or the indicator status menus or the launcher items...because it
  would look equally out of place.

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/78103067/Screenshot%2520at%25202011-08-26%252003%253A20%253A08.png

  Package: unity 4.10.0-0ubuntu1
  CompizPlugins:
[core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,mousepoll,vpswitch,regex,animation,snap,expo,move,compiztoolbox,place,grid,imgpng,gnomecompat,wall,ezoom,workarounds,resize,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,scale,session,unityshell]
  Date: Thu Aug 25 18:34:43 2011
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8