   Network state always returns to "on", despite state set at last Shutdown

  NM does not remember that an interface has been disabled

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  I have two wireless devices on my laptop.   The internal wireless
  device is so bad i can't get a signal if i am on-top of a wireless AP.
  I have a USB wireless nic plugged in.    Every time I boot the machine
  both wireless devices are enabled and packets attempt to route through
  the internal device (which will never work).

  You can't assume that a list of wireless nics is a simple list and
  just pick the first one.   The wireless device with the best signal
  should be chosen in this case.  However the bigger problem here is
  that network managers for other operating systems (osx,windows...)
  store a users "state".  If I disable the internal wireless nic it
  should stay disabled.   If I connect to a secure network it should
  store that key and never ask for it again.  (I hate the popup that has
  my obscured password and i just click "ok",  thats just annoying and a
  worthless dialog box.)  Also they have firewalls(!),  why can't i
  adjust my firewall settings per network interface?

  Package: network-manager 0.8.4~git.20110319t175609.d14809b-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Date: Fri Jun 17 11:51:04 2011
  IfupdownConfig:
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
  IpRoute:
   10.8.64.0/18 dev wlan1  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.8.81.111  metric 2
   default via 10.8.64.46 dev wlan1  proto static
  Keyfiles: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=C:en_US:en
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-04-20 (58 days ago)