This is not about Nautilus - sorry fo r the confusion.  This is about
the Launcher and the Dash.  I can drag an icon from the Dash to the
Luncher, and  I can lock an icon that is currently running on the
Launcher.  But I cannot move icons up or down the order in the Launcher.
It is supposed to be possible to re-order icons on the Launcher in this
way, but it does not work!

  Can't move icon's position on the Launcher

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Version 12.04.  The Launcher is supposed to allow you to move apps up
  and down the list by simply dragging the icon off the Launcher, and
  then dragging it back on at the desired position.  This does not work
  - all icons are immovable on the Launcher!