There is a simular bug on Debian:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;bug=668862

  spinning mouse cursor when using gnome shell

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  When using the gnome-shell desktop environment in Ubuntu (tested on
  11.10 and 12.04) there is an annoying bug with nautilus regarding the
  mouse cursor on nautilus startup.

  When you start nautilus by clicking on the gnome-shell-icon the mouse
  cursor will keep spinning for at least half a minute. (sometimes there
  also is a spinning wheel on the top panel.

  This happens only when you have nautilus handle the desktop.

  I have found out when the bug occurs and when it does not:

  Bug occurs when:

  clicking the icon on the gnome-shell-panel
  clicking on the icon of the gnome-extension (Frippery Panel Favorites)
  clicking on the link to a subfolder of the homedirectory using the
gnome-shell extension All-in-one-Places
  clicking on the notivication which appears when inserting a harddrive of some
kind

  Bug does not occur when:

  clicking on the link to the homedirectory using the gnome-shell extension
All-in-one-Places
  clicking on a direct desktop icon to the home folder or any other folder
  starting nautilus via terminal

  I also tested this using the ubuntu server version (12.04) and installing the
hgnome shell manually without any unity files

  This bug does not occur on Fedora or any other distribution using
gnome-shell, therefore I assume it must have something to do with Ubuntu and
Nautilus.