I can not verify it at the moment. I am using ubuntu 11.04 on that
machine (and other model of modem). However I have a plan to upgrade my
notebook in a close future. Then I will check it and let you know.

  mobile broadband speed very slow -- Option GlobeTrotter Express 7.2

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  I have a 32-bit notebook and I am using Option GlobeTrotter Express
  7.2 datacard (GSM 2G/3G modem). My operator is the Orange company in
  Slovak republic. Sometime the connection speed is very slow,
  resembling GPRS speeds, although the device reports 3G HSDPA
  connection (by blinking its blue LED). I observe the very slow speeds
  in both Firefox and Chrome browsers so that it is not a browser issue.
  I am pretty sure that the mobile connection in my ubuntu 10.04 does
  not work as it should because when I reboot to Windows XP I can browse
  very swiftly the same pages which I could not even load in reasonable
  time in ubuntu.

  The issue usually appears randomly; I am not able to reproduce it
  after each boot of my notebook. However, statistically it appears in,
  say, one of 4 boots.

  I think I did not observe the problem for a period of about first 5
  weeks after the installation of ubuntu 10.04. It started to appear
  from, say, 2nd week of June or so, but this is just my rough estimate.

  It is possible to regain the speed by either rebooting the machine or
  restarting connection (disconnect, remove the device, plug it in
  again, connect). It is however annoying.

  Finally, I always observe that the connection procedure takes much
  longer time in ubuntu compared to Windows XP (but this may not be
  related to the reported issue).

  Package: network-manager 0.8-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-23.37-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-23-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Date: Fri Jul  2 22:37:49 2010
  IfupdownConfig:
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
  IpRoute:
   10.64.64.64 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.192.116.85
   169.254.0.0/16 dev ppp0  scope link  metric 1000
   default via 10.64.64.64 dev ppp0  proto static
  Keyfiles: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_GB.utf8