Yes, please mention which modem it is you are trying to use.  What is
the model number?

** Summary changed:

- Plain EVDO modems don't work, no logging to find prob
+ NM applet fails to report connection failure with Pantech EVDO modem

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  NM applet fails to report connection failure with Pantech EVDO modem

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Pantech EVDO modem with Verizon service.  It works if I set
  "Stupid Mode = on" in wvdial.conf, and run it from the command line,
  but I shouldn't have to.  The modem is completely recognized on
  /dev/ttyACM0 and wvdial (or even chat) will just work.

  But the applet won't let me.  Ubuntu has decided to never ever fix
  gnome-ppp although there is a patch
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-ppp/+bug/121487 and
  the problem is well known.  So you won't fix the old program, and the
  ones in Hardy (and probably in Intrepid?) are broken.

  For the applet:

  It only seems to let me try to configure it in Manual mode.  I have to
  unlock each time.

  When I do configure it, and select the checkbox, it shows the waiting
  mouse pointer for a few seconds and then stops and unchecks the box.
  There is nothing in ANY file in /var/logs.

  Each time I have to go back and unlock it.  All the data is right.
  But it just fails.  Why?  Who knows.  There is no log.  No error
  message.  Not even something I can easily run in a debugger or trace.
  This may be a separate bug, but comm problems are common and it would
  help to know what it is trying to do.

  What I expect:

  I insert a vanilla USB cdc_acm device that is completely recognized
  and /dev/ttyACM0 is created perfectly.  I have the account info (which
  does not use a username/password), and type it all in in the network
  manager.  (verified by manually typing it into wvdial.conf)  It should
  just connect without problems, then allow simple reconnections.  If it
  has ANY problems, something should appear in the usual places
  explaining why.

  What happens:

  I go through "Manual", enter all the setup info, and check the box to
  enable the connection.  It unchecks the active box for the ppp link
  shortly afterward and leaves no trace of what it finds wrong.