Same, but solution doesn't work for me :(
I tried rm -r ~/.config/Empathy/ , it doesn't helped at all :(
I am using Ubuntu 12.10 with all upgrades!

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  empathy fails show icq contacts

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Empathy 3.4 fails to show icq contacts in contact list after the first
  run. It does not show with 'Show offline contacts'. Restarting empathy
  is the solution that works. It is going if autostart empathy -h.

  If start manually ICQ status is offline, but if reselect Available
  contacts are showing.

  How-to reproduce:
  1. Add empathy -h as startup application
  2. After login open Empathy. My contacts shows me. I can chat with them. But
there is no contacts in my contact list.
  3. Chat -> Quit and open Empathy again. icq contacts are shown

  Package: empathy 3.4.1-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Sat Apr 28 23:23:46 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120413)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8