I'm amazed that this bug still isn't fixed - it entirely prevents adding
new menu entries.

Packages, which is subscribed to alacarte in Ubuntu.

  alacarte needs to depend on gnome-panel

Status in “alacarte” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “alacarte” package in Debian:

  Binary package hint: alacarte

  Release:      10.10
  Linux onto-laptop 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC
2010 i686 GNU/Linux

  alacarte:
    Установлен: 0.13.2-0ubuntu1
    Кандидат:   0.13.2-0ubuntu1
    Таблица версий:
   *** 0.13.2-0ubuntu1 0

  I can't edit item in gnome menu. When i press button "properties", in
  terminal:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 626, in
on_properties_button_clicked
      self.on_edit_properties_activate(None)
    File "/usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 383, in
on_edit_properties_activate
      process = subprocess.Popen(['gnome-desktop-item-edit', file_path],
env=os.environ)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 623, in __init__
      errread, errwrite)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1141, in _execute_child
      raise child_exception
  OSError: [Errno 2] Нет такого файла или каталога

  Perhaps it occurred after I remove the gnome-panel, i using AWN