I've identified the exact same problem on two systems which are using
Intel-based GPUs (82Q35). So this bug cannot be related to the graphics
driver.

It also occurs with the most recent version of Linux Mint (9); which
uses version 3.4.1-0ubuntu1 of the gnome-settings-daemon. Other non-
Ubuntu distros such as Sabayon using Gnome2 and the MATE desktop (fork
of Gnome2) also experiences the same issue.

It can be easily reproduced by booting up a live-USB/CD logging in and
modifying the keyboard layout. Adding a new layout does not affect
anything (even though the keyboard viewer correctly identifies the keys
being pressed). I.e, the layout is working it is just not made
effective.

When subequently logging out and back in again the problem is resolved.
However, it can be triggered again by adding (or moving to the top) the
U.S layout again.

What is interesting–and why I am sure this is a bug in Gnome and not
some esoteric bug which originated elsewhere – is when it is using the
wrong layout (producing the wrong keys regardless of which keymap is
actually supposed to be active), selecting U.S layout (as opposed to
layout #2) makes it use the correct one.

Let me repeat that – you have two layouts active in keyboard layout,
your internationalized layout can be at the top (does not matter) but
when switching layouts in the applet the two are switched around. I've
verified this several times. Clearly this is a UI bug.

So again, if this bug somehow is not related to gsd then at least point
users in the right direction. Having a working keyboard layout is one of
the most *basic* things for an operating system, yet this is set to
"importance: low" and "status: invalid". Hardly a good way to treat your
users, wouldn't you agree?

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Can't set Keyboard layout at installation and later on

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  ISO: natty-server-amd64.iso ALPHA 3

  I can't set a Swedish keyboard, it always goes back to English-US. I did not
tried another layout.
  When installing Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 (AMD 64 Server), the keyboard is correct
recognized but it will always set as English-US.
  After the installation I try to run:
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
  and set it again but I still get English-US only. It seems I CAN'T choose
another keyboard layout.
  If I ssh against the machine than there is no problem, the problem is in the
machine local terminal.