Public bug reported:

I'm running the following command to play an mp3 file over a samba
share:

gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin2 uri="smb://lion/music/Music/Therapy/Therapy
- Nurse/Teethgrinder.mp3"

it starts to play, but after about 1 second the audio goes silent, but
the command doesn't finish. Playing the same file in rhythmbox does the
same thing and the progress indicator keeps moving, suggesting playing
but is just silent.

If play the same file from the same server but via ssh or sftp, it plays
fine:

gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin2
uri="ssh://lion/media/music/Music/Therapy/Therapy -
Nurse/Teethgrinder.mp3"

If I manually build a chain of sinks using giosrc directly, rather than
using playbin2, it plays ok:

gst-launch-0.10 giosrc location="smb://lion/music/Music/Therapy/Therapy
- Nurse/Teethgrinder.mp3" ! flump3dec ! autoaudiosink

If I play a flac file from the same server (using playbin2 again), it
also plays fine (yes, you heard right, hehe!):

gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri="smb://lion/music/Music/Admiral
Fallow/Boots Met My Face/Admiral Fallow - Boots Met My Face - 01 Dead
Against Smoking.flac"

I've attached logs with GST_DEBUG=*:5 for all the above commands. They
all succeed except mp3 over smb.

I'm using gstreamer0.10-plugins-base 0.10.36-1 on Precise.

This started out as bug #977866 reported against rhythmbox, but I've
found that it's a gstreamer (or gvfs?) problem, so am resubmitting here
with a clearer report.

** Affects: gstreamer0.10 (Ubuntu)

** Tags: precise

Packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer0.10 in Ubuntu.

  fails to play mp3s from a samba share using gio

Status in “gstreamer0.10” package in Ubuntu: