I've pared this down to a gstreamer bug and have opened a new ticket in
the gstreamer project:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstreamer0.10/+bug/1024117

It has some simple ways to reproduce the problem using gst-launcher -
could someone please test my findings there please, and mark the bug
confirmed.

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  no sound while playing music from a gvfs mounted samba share

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  When playing music imported from a samba share mounted by gvfs-smb. No
problem occurs when accessing the share mounted by smbmount.
  Other softwares like totem can play the music from gvfs-smb without any
problem.

  Package: rhythmbox 2.96-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu4