@Rick: I am happy to hear that you managed to get resolvconf and
network-manager reinstalled and your system unbricked.

Although it is usually the case that resolvconf and network-manager get
installed and operate properly, it is possible that there is some bug
that bites only in special circumstances which happen to obtain for you.
The fact that you have *two* systems with the same problem suggests that
there is some such bug.

The problem is, there is not much we can do with that statement.  What
exactly is wrong with the systems and how did they get that way, and
what caused them to be that way?

In order to answer these questions we need your help.  We will need you
to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 on at least one of the systems, carefully
recording all the steps you take. And we will need you to tell us
exactly what is wrong with the resulting installed system. And then we
will need you to investigate the system and send us syslogs and such.
If you are willing to do all this then please open a fresh new bug
report. :)

  Various people have a bunch of unrelated problems with name resolution
  in Ubuntu 12.04

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I just updated to Ubuntu 12.04.
  After the update I cannot resolve hostnames reliably:
  I use Konsole in Unity. There sometimes the DNS resolving works fine and
suddenly after two commands or so it fails for the same address.

  E.g. I ping a machine without DNS-Suffix (the suffix is shown in my network
config correctly aside 3 valid nameserver IPs) and everything works fine. Then
I try to log into the machine with the same address via ssh and I get a "Name
or service not known".
  Trying again, it works with a fully qualified name containing the suffix. I
also had cases, when the IP wasn't resolved although I put in the fully
qualified name. When I am more lucky, it starts working again with machine
names only (without suffix, which is configured and worked perfectly up to now)

  Is there probably a bug in the new Ubuntu Version?
  ---
  IfupdownConfig:
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0  proto static
   169.254.0.0/16 dev wlan0  scope link  metric 1000
   192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.2  metric 2
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
   WimaxEnabled=true
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: network-manager 0.9.4.0-0ubuntu4
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  RfKill:
   0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
  Tags:  precise
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin netdev plugdev sambashare sudo
  mtime.conffile..etc.NetworkManager.NetworkManager.conf:
2012-05-09T05:01:02.241358
  nmcli-con:
   NAME                      UUID                                   TYPE
      TIMESTAMP    TIMESTAMP-REAL                     AUTOCONNECT   READONLY
DBUS-PATH
   Wired connection 1        a76f352c-6e8c-49c7-bc05-b890445abb22
802-3-ethernet    1336943434   Sun 13 May 2012 05:10:34 PM EDT    yes
no         /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/1
   Ladner Computer Repair L.N.A 47560d22-54ec-491b-b90f-a41535d69f00
802-11-wireless   1337213171   Wed 16 May 2012 08:06:11 PM EDT    yes
no         /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/0
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE     TYPE              STATE         DBUS-PATH

   wlan0      802-11-wireless   connected
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
   eth0       802-3-ethernet    unavailable
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING         VERSION    STATE           NET-ENABLED   WIFI-HARDWARE
WIFI       WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN
   running         0.9.4.0    connected       enabled       enabled
enabled    enabled         disabled