After further investigation, I discovered a work-around.

The problem appears to be the result of an upgrade from a time where
gnome-online-accounts  was used in ubuntu. My google account was added
there, and the ghosts of that addition seem to have echoed into 12.04 --
where that package is no longer included by default, it seems.

My workaround:

Install gnome-contacts: sudo apt-get install gnome-contacts
Open gnome contacts: gnome-contacts

In the GUI that opens, select Accounts button, then delete the account
from the resulting menu.

That causes the ghost to vanish in empathy.

You can now safely delete gnome-contacts.

** Changed in: empathy (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- go on line to edit your personal information
+ Empathy: Go on line to edit your personal information

** Tags added: empathy gnome-contacts gnome-online-accounts

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Empathy: Go on line to edit your personal information

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I keep deleting a duplicate Google talk  profile, but it reappears and
  I cant change the paramiters, it says "go on line to edit your
  personal profile" it will not let me just disable it.

  My "correct" profile is there and works fine, I would live with this
  Ghost but it keeps puting up dialogs says that a password is required.

  Package: empathy 3.4.0-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-21.34-generic-pae 3.2.13
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-21-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386