I had the same problem after a fresh install of a 32-bit ubuntu 12.04.
With the hints mentioned by the original poster the language can be
restored, but in my case the language change came back multiple time
which was really annoying.

I figured that apparently there is an automatically installed and non-
removable entry of Chinese in the Keyboard Layout config menu in system
settings. If you just open this config menu, click through all the tabs
and return to the language tab, the first entry of the list will be
selected, which is Chinese if you haven't installed any other language
alphabetically listed before.

Thus the bug seems to be connected to the Keyboard Layout config dialog
which wrongly selects the first entry instead of the currently set
language.

Workaround: Avoid the Keyboard Layout config dialog or if you have to
use it, always make sure you mark your preferred language in the list
under the Language tab before closing the dialog.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 12.04 switches to Chinese language

Status in “gnome-screensaver” package in Ubuntu:

  Again I had to fudge a report through ubuntu-bug to get this posted.
  Make a general bug report possible, because there are a lot of times
  there is no way to know what is causing the issue...

  On to the bug.

  Ubuntu 12.04 changes to Chinese, and using the language suport system
  in system settings gets you nowhere. It absolutely will not change it
  back to English.

  I did not want, nor did I try to change it to Chinese, it did so after
  a boot up.

  I found the solution to this problem, but that does not mean the bug
  is solved, and so I am posting this.

  The solution right now, is stated here:

http://dennygoot.blogspot.com/2012/07/ubuntu-1204-changes-to-chinese-with-no.html

  Please help us remove this bug.

  Thank you
  -Denny

  Package: gnome-screensaver 3.4.1-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-26.41-generic-pae 3.2.19
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-26-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sat Jul 14 15:56:11 2012
  GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: No
  GnomeSessionInhibitors: None
  GsettingsGnomeSession:
   org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay uint32 600
   org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'ubuntu'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  SourcePackage: gnome-screensaver
  Symptom: security
  Title: Screen locking issue
  WindowManager: No value set for
`/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager'