This must be (have been) a problem with the router or a hardware
problem.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  Network manager takes down wireless router at startup

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: network-manager

  After upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, the wireless network often doesn't work
  after the computer is started, restarted, or waken up from standby.
  The worst thing is that the wireless router/ADSL modem is affected, so
  that a wire-connected desktop, using Windows on the same router looses
  internet access too. When a hardware WLAN switch button is pressed on
  my laptop, so that WLAN is turned off, the other computer regains
  internet access after a little while.

  The failure occurs in 25 to 75 % of start attempts (my guess). If the
  network connection is successful, it will remain so, until the
  computer is restarted or set in standby for a while.

  When the failure occurs, a click is heard from the ADSL box; probably
  a relay. I haven't found anything in the log of the ADSL box that
  looks suspicious.

  When the failure occurs, there is rotating symbol in the notification
  area, declaring attempts to reconnect. The SSID of the Wlan AP is
  mentioned. I suppose this is from network-manager-applet.

  I don't know which log files in the computer to look for strange
  things.

  ADSL WLAN modem/router: Thomson SpeedTouch 780.

  Computer: HP Compaq nx7000, using intel ipw2100 for WLAN. CPU: Centrino.
  OS: Ubuntu 9.10
  network-manager: 0.8~a~git.20091013t193206.679d548-0ubuntu1

  I have mostly used Gnome, but have seen the same problem in KDE, I think.

  The bug could be in some other package, of course, but network-manager
  is my best guess.