Public bug reported:

My /etc/default/keyboard file (attached) has this:
XKBOPTIONS="compose:ralt

The XKBOPTIONS line allowed me to use the compose key in the LightDM
password entry box so I could have a more secure password. It was
working fine. But a recent update came through and now the compose key
isn't working in LightDM. Now I can't login!

I can login using GDM, because Gnome has its own separate compose key
config and it loads that. And I can login via SSH. So I know that the
password wasn't corrupted. I also see in LightDM that no masked bullet
is typed when I do my compose key sequence. That leads me to believe
that the issue is LightDM not doing the compose key.

Also wanted to note that this is the second time this sort of thing has
negatively impacted me. First time was when LightDM replaced GDM, because it
didn't load the GDM kaymap file and I had to waste a bunch of time figuring out
about the XKBOPTIONS in /etc/default/keyboard. That case was not really a bug
but rather a sloppy oversight in the transition to LightDM. Point is Ubuntu
should pay attention to this with new LightDM releases. Being unable to login
is an extremely negative experience. I've used Ununtu for less than a year and
this has been messed up twice. Yet I've had compose-key passwords in Mac OS for
*years* with no problems.

Package: lightdm 1.2.1-0ubuntu1
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-26-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu11