A gconf/gsettings key is a good start towards fixing this bug, thanks
Mathieu. But it doesn't count as a complete fix, since most people who
use a wired connection don't know that gconf or gsettings exist.

The setting should be available in the Network settings panel, like it
is in the Time & Date panel and the Power panel. This follows the
general principle described in <https://design.canonical.com/2012/04
/status-menus/> of "showing menus, and items in menus, only when they
are relevant to you". If you're connected by a wired connection 100% of
the time, displaying this fact is not relevant to you.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  Wired connection icon is useless if you always use wired connection

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Why should I always have the wired connection icon visible? Does it
  notify me I am connected by wire? Well, I'm always connected with
  wire, so I know it. Actually, there is no other way to connect my
  computer, so this "notification" doesn't notify me.

  I understand that someone will see WiFi signal strength or BT modem
  connected or something more exotic instead of this unplugged jack. But
  for wired people to be connected is like a default state. They don't
  need to be notified about that. No new information — no notification
  icon. Having stable wired connection also means generally you need
  nothing to change. So user doesn't need a "shortcut" icon on the
  taskbar to change his connection settings every 10 minutes. And if he
  does, he could put some applet manually. No I 'm unable even to get
  rid of this icon manually. I have to patiate it, which frustrates me a
  lot.