I can confirm this bug also, custom machine, AMD 64, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
x64 fully up to date (this was upgrade from 11.04), ATI video card with
FGLRX driver from additional drivers (not post release).  I have been
trying to pin down the cause for 3 weeks.  It appears to be triggered
somewhere after (not immediately) when the screen saver or power
settings puts monitor to sleep (issue sometimes happening after lunch,
but usually happens over night).  I have tried both built in blanking
and xscreensaver same result.  Disabling the power settings and screen
savers/blanking prevents the problem from happening. The issues I see
are number lock flashing, gnome-settings-daemon using 100% CPU, and
constant drive activity.   Killing the process does nothing as it is
respawned and problem continues.  heavy disk activity is caused by
~/.xsession-errors being continuously filled with:

(gnome-settings-daemon:15439): libappindicator-CRITICAL **:
app_indicator_set_label: assertion `IS_APP_INDICATOR (self)' failed

this issues makes machine near-unusable.  Logging out (or killing X with
Alt+SysReq+K)  and logging back in stops the problem.

I am about to try the suggestion in comment #33 as I do not need
multiple keyboard layouts (but few of my customers do so this is not fix
for them)

This does not happen every day, but it does appear to happen more often
when I have my video card doing hashing calculations overnight (mining
for bitcoins).  I am not sure how the video relates to keyboard
layout/this issue, but they appear connected somehow

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  [keyboard]: gnome-settings-daemon consumes 100% cpu (and blinking
  numlock)

Status in Gnome Settings Daemon:
  New
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” source package in Precise:
  Triaged
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Check comment 33 for a possible workaround.