Public bug reported:

Affects 12.04 Precise. This appears identical to bug #348202 "Impossible
to print to custom page size in Evince".

Evince doesn't respect a custom paper size with a reduced margin ( for
printing on pre-printed paper).

Using a HP Deskjet 995C A4 ink-jet printer with duplexer which contains
pre-printed  A4 paper stock. This paper has a printed border down the
left side. Avoiding it requires the page to use a 40mm left margin.

I need a custom paper size based on the A4 210x297mm size with margins
12.7, 12.7, 40.0, 3.2 mm.

In Evince I did:

File > Print... > General > Printer = DESKJET-995C
 > Page Setup > Paper size > Manage Custom Sizes... >
  Margins from Printer... > DESKJET-995C
  Paper Margins: Left = 40.0
  Name = Sunshine Border
  > Close
 > Paper size = Sunshine Border
 >Print

The result is as if printing to the standard A4 paper-size. The left
margin is not honoured.

I found that Gedit does honour the margin. For more information see also
my comment no. 60 on a related high-priority bug #998156 "GTK Print
dialog sends broken custom page size attribute:
"PageSize=Custom.Custom.<width>x<length>""

** Affects: evince (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Evince ignores custom page size margins

Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu: