Brand new system76 laptop here running 12.04 64bit and seeing this exact
same behavior.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Login screen doesn't always appear

Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to 12.04 upon closing my laptop lid it locks the
  system and prompts for login/password upon reopening the lid.  Even if
  the option is set not to do so, however, this is detailed in bug
  #995840.  In addition to this the login screen doesn't always appear.
  Sometimes it is just a blank screen of my desktop with no way to input
  or do anything through the GUI.  This never happens during the initial
  login from a fresh boot, and I haven't tested it comming back from
  suspend or hibernate.