Stuart Kirby, thank you for reporting this and helping make Ubuntu better.
Please execute the following command, as it will automatically gather debugging
information, in a terminal:
apport-collect BUGNUMBER
When reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using 'ubuntu-bug' and
the name of the package affected. You can learn more about this functionality
at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

As well, could you please capture the oops following
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelTeamBugPolicies#Capturing_OOPs
?

In addition, could you please test the latest upstream kernel available
following https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds ? It will allow
additional upstream developers to examine the issue. Please do not test the
kernel in the daily folder, but the one all the way at the bottom. Once you've
tested the upstream kernel, please comment on which kernel version specifically
you tested and remove the tag:
needs-upstream-testing

This can be done by clicking on the yellow pencil icon next to the tag located
at the bottom of the bug description and deleting the text:
needs-upstream-testing

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following tags:
kernel-fixed-upstream
kernel-fixed-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER

where VERSION-NUMBER is the version number of the kernel you tested.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the following tags:
kernel-bug-exists-upstream
kernel-bug-exists-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER

where VERSION-NUMBER is the version number of the kernel you tested.

If you are unable to test the mainline kernel, please comment as to why
specifically you were unable to test it and add the following tags:
kernel-unable-to-test-upstream
kernel-unable-to-test-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER

where VERSION-NUMBER is the version number of the kernel you tested.

Please let us know your results. Thank you for your understanding.

** Package changed: libreoffice (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: kernel-oops needs-kernel-logs needs-upstream-testing

  libreoffice writer freezes ubuntu

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  I have been having this problem very often since the update to UBUNTU
  12.04 - (six months ago?).  Several times per day when using
  libreoffice 'writer' 3.5.4.2 build ID: 350m1 (Build:2). I have been
  running the software updater most days in the hope that it will be
  fixed.

  The programme freezes up together with UBUNTU itself and the only way
  to solve the problem is to shutdown and restart.

  It can be provoked by doing the following actions:

  Open LibreOffice with a blank new document
  press and hold down the 'z' key
  After 10 or 20 lines of z's, everything freezes
  Clearly, it should not freeze but just keep on going.

  If you get to say 50 lines with no freeze then stop and press the
  delete button (hold down) either deleting from the end or from the
  beginning and it will often freeze

  Can also be be frozen by opening a new document and using the vertical
  slider on the right hand side.  Pull it up and down until UBUNTU
  freezes.

  These methods do not work 100% of the time but I can usually provoke a
  freeze within a few minutes.

  Regards

  Stuart Kirby

  P.S. I have no idea what FindRightPackage is on about!  Sorry.  I hope
  that I have provided what you need.