The feature I care about is "choose the keyboard layout" this feature is something that I normally use I have laptop with the keyboard layout in english but I often connect a usb keyboard which layout is in spanish. I know is a specific case but I know many people that is in the same case cause their laptops came from a foreign land.
-- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/832657 Title: lightdm lacks important features Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu: Invalid Bug description: I am currently testing oneiric and wondered, why ubuntu decided to use lightdm instead of stable and reliable desktop managers like gdm. lightdm does not allow - to choose the language/locale settings - does not allow to choose the keyboard layout - does not provide a way to choose a different screen resolution (or run xrandr in setup scripts), which is needed since many of todays displays report highter resolutions than their panel actually has, and X11 usually chooses the highest resolution, which is really bad. It is definitely not a good idea to replace gdm with lightdm. lightdm is not light, it is insufficient. regards ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10 Package: lightdm 0.9.3-0ubuntu6 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-7.9-generic 3.0.0 Uname: Linux 3.0.0-7-generic x86_64 Architecture: amd64 Date: Wed Aug 24 12:15:51 2011 InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Alpha amd64 (20110802.1) ProcEnviron: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 SHELL=/bin/bash SourcePackage: lightdm UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install) To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/832657/+subscriptions -- Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

