I have posted a video on YouTube showing this bug before finding this bug
reports (thanks Dino99!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxB5TsqbojM
I'm experiencing this on Nautilus 3.5.90 in Quantal up-to-date (Aug. 24th,
2012).

I think I can provide some additional info.

1) I do not see the bug when I use a New instance of Nautilus to browse a new,
empty directory:
sudo killall -s KILL nautilus
cd $HOME
mkdir nautilus-test
cd nautilus-test
xdg-open .

2) I do not see the bug if I create files in this new directory
sudo killall -s KILL nautilus
cd $HOME/nautilus-test
//Create some example files
touch test1
ls /usr/bin | tee -a ls-output.txt
cp /usr/bin/ld ld.bin
xdg-open .

3) Resizing the columns does not work: They return to the previous width. As
far as I can see, they behave like this:
- "Size", "Type", "Modified", "Group", "Location", "Mime Type", "Owner",
"Permissions" are set to have as small width as possible.
- "Name" takes the entire remaining width.
- This widths are refreshed every time you click Nautilus window.

4) As a consequence, one can maximize/minimize the symptoms of this bug
by changing the order of (and/or adding/removing) columns (at "Gear
Icon", Preferences, List-Columns). If "Name" is the last to the right,
for example, the effect is minimized.

  columns width redrawn by multiple events

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Quantal i386 logged as gnome-classic

  when nautilus is opened, then the columns width is disturbed & redrawn if
events like:
  - mouse click somewhere inside nautilus
  - opening a terminal
  - nautilus window where the contents are larger than window, then it's seen
simply with focus on/off/on, ect

  other users also have seen this issue:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12058978&postcount=6

  Compiz* has been purged but seems not related , and Ambiance theme is
  used on my side, but seems also not related with this problem.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.5.2-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-2.2-generic 3.5.0-rc4
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-2-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.2.5-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386