Public bug reported:

In bug #1035265 we split UOA plugins in different packages. That's good
but each package should depend on the relevant Telepathy connection
manager as it's unusable without having the proper telepathy backend
installed.

account-plugin-aim : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-gadugadu : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-groupwise : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-icq : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-irc  : telepathy-idle
account-plugin-jabber  : telepathy-gabble
account-plugin-mxit : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-myspace  : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-salut : telepathy-salut
account-plugin-sametime : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-sip : telepathy-rakia
account-plugin-yahoo : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-yahoojp : telepathy-haze
account-plugin-zephyr : telepathy-haze

** Affects: empathy (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  account-plugin-* packages should depend on the right telepathy
  connection manager

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu: