I was able to easily reproduce the bug by using Synergy as client in the
affected machine. After using the numeric keypad and/or toggling numlock
from the keyboard on the server machine (but with the focus on the
client machine), the problem appears.

Can this also be reproduced by remotely accessing the machine with VNC
and then using the numeric keypad from the client machine?

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  [keyboard]: gnome-settings-daemon consumes 100% cpu (and blinking
  numlock)

Status in Gnome Settings Daemon:
  New
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” source package in Precise:
  Triaged
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Check comment 33 for a possible workaround.